Guidelines for hiding a geocache
The following guidelines must be followed.
- Any Geocacher wishing to place a geocache on a Green Status SWT Reserve, must email firstname.lastname@example.org, stating the location in DD MM.MMM format.
- The location will be physically checked by SWT, and permission will be given if that location does no harm to the local ecology or create any access or health and safety issues
- If permission is given, the cache page must state ‘ Permission for this cache given by Somerset Wildlife Trust at www.somersetwildlife.org’. A hyperlink can be used.
- The ‘Note to Reviewer’ should contain the line ‘ Cache placed by permission of the SWT Geocaching Advisor, at email@example.com’
- Cache containers must be made of plastic, with a close-fitting secured lid, and must be larger than 100ml, to avoid swallowing by livestock or wild animals, and must be clearly marked, stating ‘Harmless Geocache’, and a contact email address. The contents are subject to normal geocaching rules (no food, drink, alcohol, dangerous items)
- Caches must not be buried, or placed in animal holes or runs.
- Fake birdboxes, or other boxes that are normally placed for animals, must not be used for caches.
- Caches must not be placed in, or close to, dry stone walls. Locations that are submitted for check that are close to dry stone walls, will probably be refused.
- The cache should be no further than 5m from a marked, or well-used path or trail and in some locations SWT will only grant permission for the placing of caches within 1m from the path to protect sensitive habitats and manage access.
- When leaving the cache site, there must be no signs of disturbance.
- Maintenance of the cache is the responsibility of the Cache Owner (CO).
- SWT are not responsible for any cache that is destroyed, or goes missing
- If the CO becomes aware of an accident to any participant, spectator, or other third party, as a result of the placing of this cache, then SWT must be informed as soon as possible.
- Cachers should be aware that there maybe work being carried out on reserves, and if seen, avoid at all times. Cachers must adhere to any statutory or advisory signs on site.
Hiding a geocache
If you want to hide a geocache then please follow these instructions:
Confirm the reserve is one where caches may be placed (see the lists below)
Get the coordinates in degrees and decimal minutes format DD MM.MMM*
Email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following information:
- Subject: Geocaching Permission Request
- Your name:
- Name of the reserve.
When you receive permission please copy the text of the email as a reviewer note when you submit your cache. Please also add to the description, "Cache placed with the kind permission of the Somerset Wildlfe Trust". You may include a link to the SWT website for the particular reserve.
*If you need to convert coordinates this site is very useful - http://boulter.com/gps/
SWT Reserves where geocaching is allowed
Aller and Beer Woods Nature Reserve
Black Rock Nature Reserve
Dommett Wood Nature Reserve
Draycott Sleights Nature Reserve
Dundon Beacon Nature Reserve (near Compton Dundon)
Gilling Down Nature Reserve (near Compton Dundon)
Great Breach Wood
Harridge Woods Nature Reserve
King's Castle Wood Nature Reserve
Langford Heathfield Nature Reserve
Quants Nature Reserve
Ubley Warren Nature Reserve
Velvet Bottom Nature Reserve
SWT reserves where geocaching is not allowed
Babcary Meadows Nature Reserve
Bishopswood Meadows Nature Reserve (Blackdowns)
Cheddar Wood Edge Nature Reserve
Edford Woods Nature Reserve
Fivehead Arable Fields Nature Reserve
Green Down Nature Reserve
King's Hill Gully
Long Wood Nature Reserve
Sharpham Moor Nature Reserve (Somerset Levels, near Street)
Tealham and Tadham
West Coker Fen Nature Reserve (near Yeovil)
Whitefield Nature Reserve (near Butleigh)
Aisholt Wood Nature Reserve
Bickham Wood Nature Reserve (near Chard)
Boon's Copse Nature Reserve (near West Hatch)
Brimley Hill Mire Nature Reserve
Bubwith Acres (including Bradley Cross Fields) Nature Reserve
Cockles Fields Nature Reserve
Cooks Fields Nature Reserve
Edford Meadow Nature Reserve
GB Gruffy Nature Reserve
Holford Kelting Nature Reserve (Quantocks)
Hollow Marsh Meadow
Huish Moor Nature Reserve (Brendons)
Jan Hobbs Nature Reserve (Blackdowns)
Lots Grassland Nature Reserve (Mendip)
Lynchcombe Nature Reserve
Mascall's Wood Nature Reserve (Mendips)
Middledown Nature Reserve (Mendips)
New Hill & Tannager Nature Reserves
Perry Mead Nature Reserve (near Babcary)
Prospect Fields Nature Reserve (near Langport)
Rewe Mead Nature Reserve (near Langford Budville)
Ringdown Nature Reserve (Blackdowns)
Ruggin Nature Reserve (Blackdowns)
South Hill Nature Reserve (near Somerton)
Thurlbear Wood Nature Reserve
Tor Hole Fields Nature Reserve (near Chewton Mendip)
Wellington Castle Fields Nature Reserve
Yarley Fields Nature Reserve
Yarty Moor Nature Reserve (Blackdowns)
SWT reserves where geocaching may only be placed by the SWT or a nonimated geocacher
Catcott Complex Nature Reserves
Westhay Moor Nature Reserve
Withial Combe Nature Reserve (near Pilton)