You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.
NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS)
The NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS) allow the placing of geocaches on some controlled land provided the placement has been authorised in writing by an NPWS officer
Physical caches will not be allowed in:
* Aboriginal areas
* declared wilderness areas
* nature reserves, or
due to the specific conservation requirements of these areas.
This policy sets out the conditions under which geocaching can take place in parks.
- Caches must not be located:
- in areas which may create a risk to the safety of a person visiting the cache or other park visitors
- within 50 metres of Aboriginal objects, or
- in, or within 50 metres of, Aboriginal Places, dams, lakes or watercourses
- Geocachers are strongly encouraged to liaise with the National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS) to assess the suitability of a proposed cache location and to seek guidance on the information to be provided in cache listings.
- In accordance with the National Parks and Wildlife Regulation 2009, geocachers must obtain written consent from the Park Authority to place a physical cache in a park.
- To apply for consent, the cache owner needs to fill out the application form which is attached to the policy and deliver it to the relevant NPWS office. After it has been signed by the NPWS officer a scan of the form is to be emailed, preferably as a PDF, to ozreview at gmail dot com.
- To assist cache owners in providing current and relevant information, it is recommended that cache listings include links to the department's:
The Estate dataset is supposed to be updated every 3 months, the last revision was created on 30 June 2017
A Google Earth KMZ file is available for download from my Google Drive by visiting here.
Minor corrections were made to:
Agnes Banks NR
Bago Bluff NP
Black Bulga SCA
Brisbane Water NP
Cambewarra Range NR
Cecil Hoskins NR
Coffs Coast RP
Copeland Tops SCA
Goulburn River NP
Guy Fawkes River NP
Hunter Wetlands NP
Lake Macquarie SCA
Lane Cove NP
Macquarie Pass SCA
Middle Brother NP
Moonee Beach NR
Mount Imlay NP
Mummel Gulf NP
Murrumbidgee Valley NP
Rileys Island NR
Rouse Hill RP
Seven Mile Beach NP
The Glen NR
Tingira Heights NR
Upper Nepean SCA
William Howe RP
Windsor Downs NR
Sydney Olympic Park
The Sydney Olympic Park Authority require that permission be obtained before placing geocaches
in most of Sydney Olympic Park.
Currently there is no written policy, however SOPA want to know about all geocaches within their boundary.
The M7 motorway is privately owned with public access. The owners require that permission be obtained before any geocaches are placed along the M7 and the adjacent cycleway.
Infrastructure NSW (formerly Barangaroo Delivery Authority) have advised that currently they do not permit geocaches within the confines of Barangaroo, Sydney.
Their main concerns:
a) potential of any items being added or placed into the cache,
b) the risks associated with (a),
c) the reputational risks associated with (a)
See archive note on https://coord.info/GC62T3Y for more information
With the easing of restrictions, publication of caches with the exception of events will recommence on 16 May.
Events will wait until the allowable number of people in a group Is at least 100.
About This Guide
The local laws and guidelines for geocaching placement vary from place to place. As community reviewers learn geocache placement policies for a certain location, they can add it here. This site may not be a complete or accurate list of land policies. These policies are made by the land owner or manager, they are neither the reviewer’s nor Geocaching HQ’s. This guide is just for reference, if no policies for the area you’re looking for are listed, that doesn't mean no policies exist. You must still obtain permission to place your geocache from the landowner or land manager,comply with all applicable laws, and follow the Geocaching Listing Requirements.
If you have an update, email the community reviewer(s) listed.
If you contribute to this wiki, you agree to provide permission to others under this license.
If you share information from this site, you must mention "These regional land policies came from the Geocaching.com Public Wiki and are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-No-Derivatives 4.0 International License."
And, you agree to keep content current by checking back regularly for updates.
- No labels